Choosing a Security System
Though a home security system may seem like an expensive investment, it’s well worth the cost to keep your home, personal belongings and family safe and secure. What’s more, you may even get a discount on your homeowners insurance premium for having such a system in place. Consider the following guidance when choosing a home security system to ensure a quality purchase.
Pick the Right Provider
When selecting a home security company, it is important to pick one with a history of delivering quality products and reliable service to its customers. To evaluate a provider’s dependability:
- Make sure the alarm manufacturer is listed with Underwriters Laboratories.
- Request a reference list of current clients you can contact.
- Contact the Better Business Bureau or your local police department to see if they have any knowledge of complaints against a specific provider.
Additional System Offerings to Consider
Here are some additional offerings to keep in mind when selecting a home security system:
- System backups-Look for companies that offer cellular or radio backups to keep your system online even if all physical lines to your house are down.
- System tests-Ask potential providers what types of tests they use and how often they are conducted, as well as what is done if an error is discovered.
- Maintenance-Look for companies that include annual maintenance as part of your normal cost of service.
Be Sure to Include a Fire Alarm
When you think of home security, you may only envision a burglar alarm. However, a fire alarm system is just as important. A fire within your home can result in losses that far surpass those of a break-in. Having a fire alarm built into your home security system will ensure a quick response in the event of a fire, whether you’re home or not.
For more additional home security guidance and homeowners insurance solutions, contact us today.