November is American Diabetes Month. More than 34 million Americans are currently living with diabetes. This chronic health condition affects how your body turns food into energy. Those affected by diabetes either don’t make enough insulin or can’t properly use insulin.
There are two main types of diabetes: Type 1 diabetes and Type 2 diabetes. Type 2 diabetes affects 90%-95% of people that have diabetes. Symptoms can vary depending on how much your blood sugar is elevated. Common symptoms may include:
- Frequent urination
- Extreme hunger
- Unexplained weight loss
- The presence of ketones in the urine
- Blurred vision
- Slow-healing sores
- Frequent infections (e.g., gum, skin or vaginal infections)
In order to properly manage diabetes, it’s important to do the following:
- Monitor your blood Monitor your blood sugar to be sure it’s in the right range.
- Undergo insulin therapy if Depending on your needs, your doctor may prescribe a mixture of insulin types to use throughout the day and night.
- Eat Enjoy a diet rich in fruits, vegetables, lean proteins and whole grains. Avoid foods high in saturated fats and refined carbohydrates.
- Stay physically active. Aim for at least 30 minutes of aerobic exercise a day.
For more information on diabetes, visit the American Diabetes Association website at www.diabetes.org.
© 2021 Zywave, Inc. All rights reserved.