Slow Cooker Pork Stew Over Brown Rice
Makes: 8 servings
- 2 pounds lean pork stew meat
- 3 cups baby carrots
- 1 large onion (sliced)
- 1 ½ tsp. dried thyme leaves
- ½ tsp. coarse ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1 ½ cups complete bran and wheat flakes ready-to-eat cereal (crushed to ¾ cups)
- 1 cup dried tart cherries
- ¾ cup 100% apple juice
- 2 cups brown rice (uncooked)
1. Trim fat from pork.
2. Spray a large pan with nonstick cooking spray. Cook half of the pork at a time until browned.
3. In a 4-6 quart slow cooker, layer carrots, onion, thyme, pepper, salt and garlic. Sprinkle with cereal and cherries.
4. Top with pork and pour apple juice over the contents in the cooker.
5. Cover and cook on the low setting for 7-8 hours or on the high setting for 3 ½ to 4 hours.
6. Prepare the brown rice according to package directions toward the end of the stew cooking time. Brown rice typically takes about 40-45 minutes to cook.
7. Stir pork mixture and serve over ½ cup brown rice.
Nutritional information for 1 serving
Total fat 5 g
Saturated fat 2 g
Cholesterol 54 mg
Sodium 139 mg
Total carbohydrate 50 g
Dietary fiber 6 g
Total sugars 19 g Added sugars included 12 g Protein 27 g